IT’S OFFICIALLY THE HOLIDAY SEASON WHEN:
1) Pics are showing up everywhere of the NYC Xmas tree preparation in Rockefeller Center, JOY!
2) I caught a glimpse of eggnog (CHOW Website EGGNOG REVIEWS!) at the grocery store, holy crap its that time again? Bring out the Rum! (Did I type that?)
3) My friend (you know who you are) is buying Xmas gifts online, it’s November 13th. I guess I’ll wait until I bake a cookie or something to start the holiday shopping.
This week I’M UNLEASHING MY SANE SOLUTIONS
EAT and be MERRY, but AVOID the MUFFIN TOP that lingers once you’ve stuffed yourself more than that holiday turkey. Next thing you know the holiday weight gain that’s crept up because Turkey Day became an entire Holiday Season now becomes your New Year’s Resolution, which of course translates into the need to LOSE WEIGHT!
Start with these FIVE HIP TIPS and VISIT again for the NEXT FIVE!
HINT: they’ll be available by Friday afternoon! Subscribe cause you’re COOL and you won’t need to WORRY about it!
HIP TIP 1:
“HOLIDAY(s)” do not translate into a FREE PASS for OVEREATING!
Just cause it’s the holiday(s) doesn’t mean you should overindulge, however, don’t became insanely uptight either. I think my favorite treat that shows its face this time of the year is that Horizon brand Egg Nog. It’s reduced fat and tastes pretty darn good. The husband “taster” approves and I didn’t even tell him it was low-fat the first time I bought it. I think I”ll try brown rice pudding with this stuff? Or that bread pudding I just came across? Yum! Oh, or a smoothie? Endless possibilities here.
Have a game plan of your favorite Holiday foods!
- I love the sweet potatoes and my TOP SECRET SALAD-recipe soon! (yes I’m that healthy and nerdy). So half my plate ends up being just that. I only eat seconds because I’ve eaten just salad and sweet potatoes, however, try avoiding seconds if you can. CHOOSE what you really want first round and save room for pie!
- OH and I MUST HAVE NANA’s banana cream pie which we all FIGHT over!
HIP TIP 2:
DONT skip meals, seriously!
I promise if you’re one of these people (Meal skippers) the party or holiday gathering you just joined becomes a free for all because you’re ready to pass out from starvation. Then you end up with witnesses who see you gorge on cocktail weenies, eggnog (with rum), chips and dip, turkey with gravy and all the sides, then a last attack at the desserts Yes, I said Dessert(s)). I suggest you eat Breakfast, and even a snack and lunch pending on the timing of a BIG MEAL to come.
Have fun, ENJOY, but not at the expense of all your goals! Don’t pop the button off your pants in one day there will likely be left overs!
HIP TIP 3:
EXERCISE just as much, if not MORE!
- Yeah, I said it. Exercise MORE OR the total opposite, HAVE A MINIMUM goal and stick to that.
- Those of you who aren’t exercising at all, “I need to have a chat with you.”
- Those of you who are just starting an exercise routine: KEEP IT UP!
- Those of you who are work-out-aholics (myself included): ALSO KEEP IT UP!
- I HIGHLY RECOMMEND WORKING OUT THE MORNING OF TURKEY DAY AND ANY OTHER HOLIDAY FOR THAT MATTER, WHY NOT?
Don’t expect to take on the world during the holidays, your goal should be MAINTENANCE, NOT trying to lose weight.
HIP TIP 4:
Being HOST = Having OPTIONS!
If you’re the HOST, you choose what foods will be displayed on that table! I digress, I’ll bet my parents dread a Thanksgiving or Holiday at my house, they likely fear Tofurkey on a platter or something very similar. Sorry, back to the point, so if you’re dishing up the food maybe make one or two “healthier” options.
If you’re a guest at someone’s house, offer to bring one or two healthier options! I ALWAYS do this! I’ll be offering up my Turkey Day Treats and Recipes Soon!
HIP TIP 5:
ACTIVITIES BEYOND EATING-Imagine?
During the meal you should PUT THE FORK DOWN! Remember what your mama told you, BITE AND CHEW!
Once the EATING FRENZY has come to a halt (or it hasn’t come to a halt cause the food is still surrounding you!) have some alternative activities in mind. I know it’s all too easy to be tempted to pick at leftovers (which is considered mindless eating!) if you offer to be part of the “clean up crew.” Instead, offer to WASH DISHES, who can eat with soap suds hands?
- Go for a walk after dinner
- Play with the kids
- Play the guitar or sing (NOT JOKING, MY FAMILY HAS A TENDENCY TOWARDS THIS!)
- Engage in conversation (meaningless or not, it will slow you down!)
READY, SET, EAT and ENJOY!
IF YOU LIKED THIS YOU SHOULD ALSO REFER TO:
CHECK BACK FOR PART DEUX!
WHAT WILL YOU EAT AND AVOID THIS SEASON?