HI! & WELCOME!
Jen Here! I’m a dietitian and Ishta certified Yoga Teacher…
BUT WAIT, there’s MORE.
HOW IT BEGAN:
I dunno, Mud Pies? Well, from a food perspective. Oh, and my family has this odd way of repeatedly talking about a food item like,”corn” ….for weeks!
We love food.
So the food talk comes naturally and I can’t even stop myself sometimes.
Hi, I’m Jen I talk about food, health, and exercise..OFTEN.
BUT… NOT in a boring, yawn kind of way. In fact, if I’m being honest, I don’t love the title “Dietitian” all the time. Only cause it sounds like “food police”, and the word diet is a word I dislike. So that description does not really fit me (no wait, maybe sometimes). People do tend to “bite and chew” in front of me and hold off ordering until they know what I’m having. Ugh.
Meanwhile I’m squishing my cupcake bottom on top of the icing and taking a huge bite of my “cupcake sandwich.”
Seriously though, more often than not I do eat healthfully and exercise tons, so let’s say 90 percent of the time that’s the real deal. Okay, I’m a dietitian, OR foodtritionist? I like that wayyyyy better! But guess what, I’m editing this page once again and have a new one:
Yogatitonist: Perhaps the word “yogurt” just entered your mind. Read on.
WHY LISTEN TO ME:
I have three degrees in nutrition sciences including a Masters degree in Applied Physiology and Nutrition (aka:exercise physiology). And have nearly completed my 500 hour Ishta yoga teacher training.
Want the bio and some details? linkedIN will happily provide that info cause you might’ve just fell asleep.
I am a practicing dietitian and yoga teacher. I see private clients, teach classes and can assist you in learning how to invert-in english this means do a headstand . I’m serious when I need to be, got it?
You can go directly to my professional website www.jennifervagios.com for details.
Is that all food can fit, moderation in moderation, and EAT REAL FOOD. Whole Foods (not stuff that tastes like the cardboard box it came in-although nutella is in this household-don’t judge me, I don’t judge you).
Also, If I want to eat the cookie, I’m going to eat the cookie! and cupcakes will NEVER grow old. I don’t care if Whoopies are in right now.
I am not vegan, but mainly follow a vegetarian diet. I dabble with raw foods and wierd foods (people think spelt can be weird) but will sometimes (like once a month maybe) eat meat (fish really). I cook it for the hubs (yes, I’m that cool). Keep cow tongue or pigs feet away from me!
I also believe that YOGA is for EVERYONE.
ME IN A NUTSHELL…FUN STUFF
LOVER OF MOST THINGS PINK, CUTE, and FLUFFY. SMALL MINI FOODS.TRYING WEIRD FOODS. EXERCISE FANATIC AND FREAK. SOMETIMES LIKE THE CAR RACING STUFF (HUSBAND’S INFLUENCE) LIKE FORMULA ONE. WARM CLIMATES, BAHAMAS, ITALY, PRAGUE & MONTAUK. SUNSHINE. PEONIES. FRIENDS. PILATES, YOGA & RUNNING. NICE PEOPLE.
WANNA BE: CHEF. ROCKSTAR. MUSICIAN (actually I do sing, can play the guitar, once played the flute, oboe, piano and something called a glakensphiel?). BALLERINA. CUPCAKE BAKERY SHOP OWNER. PET WALKER/DOGGIE DAYCARE OWNER. TAP DANCER.
FORMER SOCCER, VOLLEYBALL PLAYER AND CHEERLEADER. WEDDING SINGER, GYM RAT (nope still kind of a gym rat-really a yogi rat).
HATER OF LIVER, AND WEIRD MEATS. AND PEOPLE WHO ARE “ONE UPPERS.” (You know who you are).
OWNER OF TWO GUITARS (ONE ELECTRIC, ONE ACOUSTIC). LOTS OF SHOES and YOGA CLOTHES, oh and LAVENDER OIL-love that stuff. TOO MANY KITCHEN GADGETS.
WILL WORK: FOR YOGA CLOTHES, SHOES, A NEW CAMERA LENS or FOOD. KIDDING, sort of.
ALL AROUND FUN GIRL who SMILES LOTS. WIFE. FRIENDLY PERSON. HUGE NERD. LAUGHS ALOT, AT MYSELF MOSTLY. BIT OF A SPAZ IN THE KITCHEN BUT ABLE TO HANDLE ALL SITUATIONS IN THERE, INCLUDING SMALL FIRES. WELCOME!
EATING, WRITING ABOUT EATING, TALKING ABOUT EATING, MIGHT AS WELL BLOG ABOUT IT…
I needed an outlet for creativity really. My constant display of food and nutrition explorations, SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS IN THE KITCHEN and knowledge should be available to more than just my friends (cause they probably need a break anyway). This is how I came to create my blog, “A Girl and Her Carrot.” In all honesty, the carrot part of the equation comes partly from my husband who mainly thinks of carrots when he thinks of vegetables, Sigh. I am slowly and surely trying to convince him otherwise.
I am now a 200 hour ISHTA yoga teacher and almost done with the 500 hour, WOOT! I also photograph food (sort of more then a hobby, but lets say hobby, unless you want to hire me) write about, and cook it. But I’ll boast that I had the pleasure of assisting an awesome food photographer.
Anyway, I seem to be “happiest” when doing all, but lately headstands and backbends have won me over. Oh and meditating. Yeah, I do that too.
SO, IN SHORT:
(If you made it this far, that’s serious committment)
I want to empower others to find balance in their life and to eat healthier and not take food so seriously (unless you’re making a souffle, that can be quite serious). Laugh, Live in the mOMent, Eat, Cook, Savor, Exercise and do YOGA! I’ll help you in more then one way “find the meaning of health.”
- My enthusiasm, I’ve been told, is contagious. So I hope I’m contagious like the flu & Healthy becomes EASY, not a chore.
- Recipes. LOTS, original, but also inspirations from others and perhaps others recipes (is that proper english?).
- Cooking experiments, flops & winners! Hopefully no flops, but it happens.
- Hot topics: Nutrition, Weighty Issues, now YOGA.
- Nerdy Stuff (sometimes).
- Restaurant Roundups-What I’m eating & Where.(sometimes)
- FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY! I love it, I shoot it, I will climb on broccoli to get a good shot. (I need more food props, anyone?)
- And my CANDID sometimes offensive honest opinions about all this stuff, cause that’s how I roll!
MY GENIUS THOUGHTS ON HEALTHY LIVING…
- Don’t diet–it’s always temporary and not a lifestyle.
- Eat what you want, but in moderation, everything can fit, just watch how much you’re eating– we all know portion sizes exist, right?
- If you want a cupcake, eat the cupcake! Depriving yourself never works, trust me.
- Eat when you’re hungry, and become aware of when you’re not hungry–this sometimes takes time. That BAD haircut didn’t grow out in a week and behaviors aren’t changed in a week either!
- If food were just food, wouldn’t we all be skinny? p.s. skinny isn’t always healthy.
- Exercise! Everyone should exercise! If you don’t exercise at all, start! I don’t expect you to run a 10k next week, but do something!
- Do Yoga. Yoga is for EVERYONE.
- What works for one may not work for another, that’s what makes you an “individual.”
- Drink WATER! It’s that simple! IN fact, you probably need some, go get it…like now.
I’m even more FUN on Twitter if you’re feeling Chatty.
And if you’re looking for some more, go ahead and LIKE me
& buy my love for FREE on
FACEBOOK, there are some awesome people hanging out over there.
FEEL THE NEED TO CHECK ME OUT FURTHER?
HEAD ON OVER TO LINKEDIN for my bio and brief Resume, I look pretty darn good on paper over there to.