Do you need more veggies in your day?
(I know, sigh….you thought this was literally gonna be a “cocktail.”)
Anyway, Likely the answer is yes, and the recommendation to consume > 6 servings/day sounds inconceivable (big word alert). Or veggies make you gag (the horror!).
Fear not! I’m going to claim that this drink is not “gag-worthy” and you do not taste the spinach. (quote me on that one).
Oh, and p.s. My Whopper of a Salad (super easy) likely has 3 servings of veggies oozing out of it, if not more.
So, 1 green cocktail + 1 Whopper salad= 6 serv. (see how painless that was?)
I’ve been making the green monsters forever and the convenience of them is really the reason why, not to mention the “hulk-like” feeling you have after sippin on one.
Spinach is quite the handsome green. It serves well as a garnish or liner for other things to topple on (i.e. my farro with roasted butternut squash salad).
- Other fun facts:
- It’s part of the Goosefoot Family? ( I kid you not, it’s a family of plants coming from the greek work goose (khen) and foot (podium) because the triangular shape of the leaf looks like the webbed foot of a goose.
- Medicinal benefits: it moistens, quenches the thirst, and supports vision. (Source:The New Whole Foods Encyclopedia).
- Buying: If it’s soggy, wilted, not very green, or yellowish-don’t buy it. BUY ORGANIC is the way to go folks, spinach has been coined one of the most pesticide residue containing veggies. Check out the BEST source for Organics.
- Blender (If you’re fancy and have a Vitamix, which is by far the BEST blender out there for pulverizing veggies, lucky you).
- 2 huge handfuls of spinach (get greedy with it-as you should with all veggies)
- 4-8 oz of water (or other beverage, I use half soy or almond milk sometimes)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 package of protein powder (My fav lately is the Tera’s Whey-bourbon vanilla, also loving the RAW rice based protein powder which is vegan, gluten free, etc.)
- 1-2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt
- 4 ice cubes
- (Okay, do I dare say add 1/4 cup pumpkin puree and some pumpkin pie spice?)
- I suggest you blend the spinach and water (or liquid) first, cause frankly, the spinach is stubborn and takes sticking a fork in the blender (not while it’s running of course) and moving it around a bit. This might take 3 or 4 fork pokes.
- Once it turns to liquid green-ness, add all other ingredients and whirl it up until all ingredients liquify.
- Pour over a couple of ice cubes and serve!
- you might try adding more ice cubes.
- Adding more frozen fruit (berries are always a nice addition).
- Add more yogurt
- Don’t? (Kidding). But seriously, you’ll have to add less water, and a little more yogurt and ice cubes so you can thicken it at all.