Sometimes one must snack on something other then greek yogurt, and/or carrot sticks….
Here’s the deal, I was hungry, I was hungry and I opened my cabinet up to spot the jar of peanut butter and then the banana hanging out on the counter, oh and I caught a food network episode of Paula Dean making a 3,000 calorie something of a dessert quesadilla topped with brown sugar, butter, more butter, then ice cream.
Yeah, that will send you right to the cardiologist for a triple bypass but I’m also going to “splurge” here and there and never look back (just look forward and run a few times around the block, kidding).
Anyway, I think you all know that I took the 3,000 calories and smashed those down (like sledge hammer smashed) and made my own version.
Besides, this treat makes your house smell like grilled cheese, or at least breakfast, and I’d take the scent of breakfast all day everyday if I could.
Jar up that banana pancake scent, somebody, please?!
So out comes the staples that are likely always in my home and bing bang boom, snack, breakfast, a treat…whatever you wanna call it, it’s darn good! Expect a little crunchiness on the outside, and a soft, smooth and gooey inside to make a very happy mouth.
Serves: 1, possibly 2 (I dare you to try sharing this)
Equipment: Non-stick pan
- 2 whole grain or I love the ezekiel tortillas.
- a pat, smear, small spoonful of butter (optional-use Pam if you’d like)
- 1-2 tablespoons peanut butter (I’m a fan of Teddie brand. natural, crunchy or creamy)
- a smear of nutella-or humongo scoop (let’s be honest)
- 1 sliced up banana
- pumpkin seeds (optional crunch factor)
- chia seeds (also optional crunch factor)-did you see my chia seed pudding? Check it out!
- Heat a non-stick medium sized skillet (the tortilla should fit nicely) over medium heat. Add that smear of butter or spray with Pam if you’d like.
- Spread peanut butter on one side of a tortilla, then layer the bananas, then sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and chia seeds if you’d like.
- Smear the nutella on the other tortilla. ( I know this is very exciting, just don’t rip the tortilla).
- Place tortilla half (obviously the side that’s full of goodies faces up) in the heated pan. Top with the other half and heat for a few minutes. (Check with a spatula to make sure you don’t burn it).
- Flip over and cook another few minutes until a nice golden brown crust is formed.
- Now, enjoy the moment of the aroma that has just filled your kitchen…..happy sigh. Then check again to make sure you didn’t over cook this delightful little treat.
- Slice it up into quarters, or if you’re selfish, don’t, maybe cut it in half.
- Use another nut butter. My new fav? Justin’s Maple Almond Butter….
- I’ll bet apples (pre-sauteed) would work nicely. Something else you can use sauteed apples for? Click here for that recipe!
- Throw in other crunchy things or even dried fruit.
- Have leftovers? (I’d be stunned) stick them in the fridge, toast it up the next day or wrap it up as a breakfast on-the-go treat. Surprise the hubby or someone you love.