How’d those New Year’s Resolutions work out for ya?
NOT workout? (pun intended)
We all know January always causes a surge in GYM memberships and attempts at NEW DIETS. I’m not opposed to all of it but I’m an advocate of “Continuous HEALTH and HAPPINESS,” and “CHOOSING habits that are LIFELONG.” I am definitely NOT a fan of starting something (while intentions might have been good ones) doing it for a two week stint OR becoming a weekend warrior.
Running five miles starting on Sunday when you haven’t run in three years turned out to be a bad idea, did it?
AND NO! There’s no magic bullet, go elsewhere for that bullet (wait a second, there is no real bullet!).
It’s okay, you can swallow your pride now and start eating carbs again, you’ll be happier!
PART I: (1-5) 10 THINGS HEALTHY PEOPLE DO:
PROBLEM: Are you eating a lean cuisine, turkey sandwiches, possibly a jellied fruit molded something and canned soup on a daily basis? While I know some of us are creatures of habit, you might consider adding something beyond the same 5 foods to your eating regimen. Would you wear the same clothes every day? No. So why eat the same food?
2. MODERATION (sometimes moderation IN moderation)
PROBLEM: You love pizza and once and awhile you want some chocolate but eating them daily could pan out to be a problem. When I say moderation it means:
- Put the fork down after the second helping of dinner
- Don’t order a second ice cream cone or sundae
- One soda was enough(which by the way, eewww chemicals in a can?).
- AND YES more veggies is always better (if not drenched in butter).
STRATEGY: Fill your plate up, think half veggies, quarter protein + a quarter with a grain and there should be NO reason you’re not satisfied!
Eat the cookie when you want the cookie (you all know I do).
3. ENJOY FOOD & STOP FEELING GUILTY!
PROBLEM: Are you that person who is always telling people how bad or guilty you feel after you ate something?
Or you find yourself saying things like,”I never eat this way, but just this one time.” It’s like we need to admit we’re doing something wrong or shameful by eating that fried zucchini blossom (yum by the way).
STRATEGY: So what, move on! One meal, drink, or dessert is NOT what will sabotage you for a lifetime. Next meal you eat just focus on making it super healthy! If you had cheesecake and wine at dinner the night before then aim for oatmeal with fruit and some nuts for breakfast! Read THIS to create SMART goals.
PROBLEM: Your version of cooking = microwaving a slice of leftover pizza or Lean Cuisine? Sigh. With all the cooking shows, magazines, blogs (like this one), sites (like this one and this one , we’re still not cooking enough?!
STRATEGY: If you cook ZILCH times a week, try it even ONCE!
- A soup would be easy to start with! You can make a double batch and have it for lunch the next day and/or dinner! Try this one! Or scroll through my soup recipes.
- Cook on a day you have time.
- Don’t aim for Monday night when you’re exhausted. Grocery shop with the recipe already planned out.
- Try a Sunday afternoon, make a healthy lasagna (HINT: it’s got a squash in it!) or casserole type dish so that you have leftovers for Monday.
5. THINK COLOR!
PROBLEM: If you reflect back on what you ate today, was there any color? Green, Red, Orange, Yellow? If you answered NO then what are you eating? Cardboard boxes?
STRATEGY: Okay, things like oats, cereals and grains are all pretty neutral in color, but ADD color by tossing in fruit (dried or fresh), or veggies! I add things like tomatoes, cucumbers, and red peppers to grain based salads for color. Just look what I did to this SALAD or this SALAD!
OKAY, your TURN!
HOW do you FEEL about all THIS?
GOT SOMETHING TO ADD?
WHAT WILL YOU DO NOW after READING THIS? Do you have an EXPERIENCE to SHARE?
Part II (6-10) will be shared next Thursday by noon EST.
- What 10 states have the worst eating habits? (circleoffood.com)