I had a definite flavor line up but wasn’t sure how it would WIND up. Oh God, sorry that rhymes.
FOOD SCIENCE 101 LAB.
My mom was very kind enough to remind me today how I luhhhhved chemistry and wanted to be a chemist somewhere in the 90’s. Yikes. What a nerd! Maybe you get the picture though…I do love playin with my food. I once used a steamer to make a loaf of gluten free bread using rice flour. That recipe was real crappy, but it was fun. That was before gluten free was even in the media! If I had only known.
Today I told myself,“Self, you can’t totally screw this up if you follow the basics.”
- Cranberries + liquid.
- Add FLAVOR.
I was wracking the brain for something innovative using cranberries, cause they’re highly nutritious and I don’t know why they aren’t a HOT item beyond Turkey Day.
It’s like the Hershey Kiss Christmas commercial, it only appears during the holidays. I love that commercial!
SO…One glass of wine later, tons of recipe ideas jotted down that had nothing to do with these cranberries…and we’ve got potential NAMES!
- Boozey Gingered CRAPOMpote? No, that didn’t work. The word CRAP was a problem and that’s way too long of a description, who wants to read that?
- I settled on Gingerly Spiked Cranberries with the intention that you would salivate from:
The kick of spice with ginger, feeling warmth when it hits the belly, a sweet burst from lil pom arils and the reminder of a pie filling. Remember those McDonald’s apple pies? Yup, I cannot believe I ate them! Ehhh, who knew they were crap? Make this instead.
I highly suggest you come back tomorrow to see what dessert/snack I concocted I promise:
“Sweet, Chewy, & Healthy” in one lil dish.
Serves: 4-6 kindly
- 1-12 ounce package Cranberries, uncooked
- 1 cup water
- 1 Honey Crisp Apple, sliced into thin slices, half those slices, skin intact! (fiber) (or other APPLE of your choice)
- 1/4 cup chopped crystalized ginger (I use Ginger People Brand)
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup (The good stuff)
- 1-2 T Triple Sec (Orange Flavored Liqour-substitute with orange juice)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (substitute : 1/4 tsp. ginger, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. cloves)
- Cinnamon-extra if you desire! I do.
- 1 Pomegranate, arils removed (TRICK HERE!)
1. Place cranberries along with water in a large saucepan carefully please, cause cranberries are deceivingly light (reminds me of the popcorn or peanuts you use for shipping stuff).
2. Cook over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Do not Fear the popping noise those lil cranberries start making, they won’t hurt you, they’re just excited and bursting open.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for additional 5 minutes. Add next six ingredients (additional cinnamon if you wish) and stir to combine.
4. Let the mix continue to be merry and cook for another 5-8 minutes until apples are tender and sauce thickens.
5. Add pomegranate seeds and Oooohhh LALA!
Chef’s Tips/Make it your Own (aka: Play with your FOOD)
- USE in a smoothie.
- Spooned over ice cream.
- Spooned over pancakes.
- Mixed into your oats.
- Stuffed into a french toast.
- Perhaps used in a pie?
- I might need to make some sort of a hot pocket version of this…
COME BACK TOMORROW COMPOTE is joining a GRAIN!
MEANWHILE SHARE your thoughts on TODAY’S RECIPE.