“IT’S A MARSHMALLOW WORLD IN THE WINTER”…FALALALA…
BUT PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON’T BECOME A MARSHMALLOW!
PUT DOWN THE NOODLE KUGLE FOR LIKE FIVE MINUTES AND READ!
TEN INEXCUSABLE EXCUSES FOR DODGING MOVEMENT OF ANY KIND…
1. MY CAT NEEDS A HAIRCUT AND A SHAMPOO…AND I WANT A BUBBLE BATH
What? Everyone likes Fluffy…cause she’s Fluffy. Liar!
- Take the hour you set aside for bath time and sheep shearing Fluffy and walk around the block, even yap on the phone and march in place.
2. I’M FREEZING AND IT’S SNOWING OUTSIDE…DOES SHIVERING=CALORIE BURNING?
That’s why we have Jane Fonda leg warmers, gloves and hats.
- Grab the elliptical by the handles and rid yourself of the purple fingertips by MOVING! While you’re at it, build a snowman and hurl a snowball…that counts. Oh, and if it’s snowing grab your skis, go snowshoeing, or sleigh riding. Act like a kid!
3. I CAN’T EXERT ANY MORE ENERGY TODAY…MY FINGERS ARE TIRED
You’ve been in that chair all day long…
- It only takes ten minutes three times a day and you’ve snagged 30 minutes of movement!
- Walk around the office and gossip for all I care OR go for a walk on your lunch break).
4. I HAVE NOTHING TO WEAR…OR THAT I THINK I’LL FIT IN
- Wear your man’s boxers and an old bra...nobody’s lookin, and if they are then why haven’t you bought the matching pink leotard or sex kitten gym clothes yet?
- Buy at least 3 pairs of workout clothes to start with.
5. I’M EMBARRASSED…(PLEASE READ # 7)
It’s probably more embarrassing that you can’t complete 10 minutes of cardio or lift a three-pound dumb bell. (By no means am I referring to anyone with medical complications or injuries here nor am I judging).
- Exercise does NOT have to be in public! You can do plenty of things in the privacy of your own home. I DO!
- Fitness magazine online has plenty of workouts! OR buy DVD’s, OR iO digital Cable has free workouts on demand!
- Check out FitTV or ExerciseTV
6. I’M OUTTA SHAPE…AND IT WILL HURT LIKE THE TIME I STUBBED MY TOE
Yes well, you’ve got to start somewhere. That lasagna didn’t build itself and unless you want a “souffle that didn’t rise” kind of a body…get movin!
- Do something less traditional and a little frightening! Zumba! Belly Dancing, Pole Dancing! I know you DYIN to try! GOOGLE SEARCH PEOPLE!
7. IT’S SOOO BORING…AND I NEED A NAP
Oh really? True story!
I once felt inspired by a “dancer” friend. I found a BEGINNER class for TAP DANCING, ran through midtown Manhattan: destination Capezio, bought tap shoes and marched my as_ to that studio-Broadway Dance Center.
Husband: Where are you?
ME: Ummm, in a locker room surrounded by tutu’s and leggings?
Husband: Huh? Really, where are you?
ME: Remember I said I was gonna take a tap dance class?
ME: Well I signed up, bought tap shoes and I’m just about to start. Holy crap.
Husband: Oh my god! Okay, have fun?!
Such a supportive man. It was the most humiliating experience, like the time I fell down a flight of stairs in front of the movie theater, BUT I HAD FUN!!!! I didn’t totally stink but I wasn’t light on toes either….the phrase, “shuffle, ball, change” haunted me, and the instructor kept pointing me out! Whatever.
The moral of the story is that I tried something new with the intent of exercise, but really I wanted to have fun!
Hip Hop next?
8. I HAVE A HUGE TO DO LIST TODAY…IT INCLUDES A MANICURE
If you’re in the hospital from plaque buildup and high blood pressure…you won’t get around to those errands my friend.
Make a list, check it twice…don’t be naughty skate on ice-there are indoor and outdoor rinks.
- Chelsea Piers (NYC), Skating Academy (Elmsford, NY)
- You know how you have HABITS such as washing your hair sometimes (I hope), well make Exercise a HABIT!
9. THERE AREN’T ENOUGH HOURS IN THE WEEK…AND GOSSIP GIRL IS ON
Really? There are 1440 minutes in a week, as little as 120 minutes a week is a START. What’s the problem?
I don’t care if you tape a sticky note to your dog’s head, Fluffy the cat, or write on your hand with a sharpie!
- Schedule it! Buy a CUTE organizer write it down.
- Pay in advance…then you lose money if you miss it. You’re accountable!
- Sign up in advance, then you’re embarrassed if you cancel.
- Some other human can watch Jack and Jill for like thirty minutes.
- Wake-up 30 minutes earlier, wear your gym clothes to bed?!
10. I DON’T BELONG TO A GYM AND IT’S EXPENSIVE-I’D RATHER HAVE PRADA SHOES.
Well, sometimes we have to have the Prada shoes.
The cost of a gym membership is might be partially covered through insurance, CHECK!.
Live near a CRUNCH gym? Via Twitter a fellow blogger suggested downloading this 1 WEEK FREE pass!
- How about the cost of medical bills in the future? Much more expensive, don’t you think?
- Ask for a membership for a Holiday Gift?
- OR give up the FIVE DOLLAR daily mochaccino and you’ve got more than a monthly gym membership!
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO START DOING TODAY?
WHAT KIND OF TRICKS ARE FOR KIDS TYPE OF HABITS GET YOU THROUGH A WORKOUT OR EVEN OUT THE DOOR?
- You: Exercise DVD gifts: Keeping up with Jane Fonda? (washingtonpost.com)