THE HOLIDAY GATHERINGS, OFFICE PARTIES and MORE!
HIP TIP 6
The dreaded OFFICE PARTY
- First rule and my opinion is to avoid being the drunk fool at the party.
- Second, don’t drink all your calories. If someone asks you if you’d like a drink as soon as you walk in the door nobody’s stopping you from asking for water, a wine spritzer or seltzer, that way you have that “PROP” in your hand and you can lie to others if necessary and say ,”it’s straight vodka?” Don’t let others bully you.
- If you start boozing on an empty stomach you’re more likely to over indulge. Alcohol is a stimulant and it can increase your “appetite”.
HIP TIP 7
BEWARE OF THE BUFFET!
- Dodge this at all costs. Buffet’s can quickly sabotage. No reason to EVER “Eat all you can eat.”
- The only thing that should be overstuffed is that turkey. As a matter of fact, wear a tight outfit, then you won’t want to overindulge. Maybe not ethical advice, but it works.
- Bring conversations away from the Buffet! Hovering only increases the likelihood you’ll peck at the food, mindlessly nonetheless!
HIP TIP 8
- The closer the holidays the more frenzied we become. Human nature, but not good if you’re so busy you’re forgetting things such as eating, then that mound of holiday cookies becomes lunch at 3 pm.
- I already suggested EXERCISE, all forms count here also try yoga and meditation so you remain calm and cool. If you’re eating cause you’re stressed or your emotions run wild ( you know who you are) READ THIS!
- STRESS can translate to SLEEP deprived, which translates to WEIGHT GAIN, especially around THE MIDDLE. And while buddha has a very cute belly which makes for a nice cushion, this is also the MOST DANGEROUS form of weight gain.
- I constantly remind people to set a timer and take time to relax, take a little break, walk away from the computer (even I have to remind myself of this!), go outside! I don’t care if you develop icicles on your face, we all need some fresh air.
HIP TIP 9
GOODIES GALORE, Help, I’m SURROUNDED!
- Wouldn’t it be so nice if cookies, candy, cake, eggnog, and that holiday treat “fruit cake” weren’t surrounding you? Tough luck, learn how to deal with this in a healthy way!
- Mind over matter here. I know, easier said than done, that’s why I’m here to help. If you refer back to my “Genius thoughts on Healthy Living” you’ll notice I point out that if FOOD WERE JUST FOOD WE’D ALL BE SKINNY. I mean this literally.
- REMEMBER, changing your habits and behaviors will help you for the long hall referred to as “your life.”
- Make sure you have“healthy snacks” with you, refer to my Hunger Scale! That way you avoid eating “mindlessly” .
- Don’t skip meals (refer to Part One Tips!), If asked if you’d like a cookie respond,”No thanks, I’m not hungry.” Who can argue with that?!
- Don’t share the fact that you’re dieting or trying to watch your weight, cause you know what? This may set you up for failure and feelings of GUILT. BaHumBug! Not fun.
- Go for a walk, put the cookie down and nobody gets hurt.
- Drink WATER (Click for a NYT article on WATER and Weight Loss). Sometimes we’re THIRSTY and NOT HUNGRY! Did you know that one?
HIP TIP 10
AT THE TABLE
- Thanksgiving is next week, but it’s not where it ends, unfortunately (well not unfortunately, I love the holidays!), however, a couple of months can truly cause people to lose their cool around cookies. Remember the cocoa for cocoa puffs commercial?
- I suggest you choose what you really want to enjoy, chill out! Savor every bite, CHEW YOUR FOOD!
- Put the fork down and engage in some conversation while at the DINNER TABLE (meaningless or not it will slow you down!!!).
- It does take at least 20 minutes for your stomach and brain to “have a conversation” regarding the FULLNESS feeling.
EAT, CHEW, SAVOR!
Also CHECK THESE OUT CAUSE YOU JUST CAN’T GET ENOUGH!
- Is your appetite making you Hungry?
- Genius thoughts on Healthy Living
- PART I Holiday HIP TIPS
- Water and Weight Loss (NYT Article)
So what’s going to get you through the Holidays?